Thursday, March 6, 2008

Close Your Eyes Mother Dear

About a month ago I was going to enter this writing contest at myithtings.com, and it was supposed to be a piece about what I think beauty is, and what it means to me. I began writing about what beauty is in the world and what it meant to be truly beautiful, but after looking around on the website I realized this was built off of "fashion" sort of deal, actually when creating a profile you can upload pictures of new things that you bought and how much money you contributed to the wasting away of humanity and our planet in general. And I quit the writing!
But overall, beauty is something so questionable to me in the first place. Most days I'm confident with my physical state and being, there has been only one day in my life where I didn't want to go to school because of that visual punctuation [and that was when my face got an allergic reaction from some type of face cream and inflated into a red balloon..it was horrible..moving on.] What I later learned was that I can get more things from life, whether it might be a job, or a free soda, is by my looks. I actually think I learned that recently, thus upsetting more than anything and thinking ONCE again that "gaawd this is a man's world!". That's when I let go of my physical form, and form in general! I stopped shaving my armpits, plucking my eyebrows etc. And not to be counterculture, or possibly so, but to also prove to myself that I am extremely comfortable with the formless things within me enough to fly on.
Beauty feels like such an obvious but such a complicated word to define. "There's beauty all around you!", it's very true, but much more different for me than it is for you. I wish that just for one day we can turn the streets into a completely magical world and we can wear costumes and avant-garde-crazed things, and speak in languages and accents we only dreamed of originating from. So I guess that for me, beauty is an imaginary world, that we bring alive in our minds whether it be in nature, fashion, or just people and their essence. Take it in baby, take it in.

No comments: